Re: is cfbot's apply aging intentional?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: er(at)xs4all(dot)nl
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com" <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: is cfbot's apply aging intentional?
Date: 2021-03-06 15:28:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Mar-06, er(at)xs4all(dot)nl wrote:

> Is that the way it's supposed to be? I would have thought there was a regular schedule (hourly? 3-hourly? daily?) when all patches were taken for re-apply, and re-build, so that when a patch stops applying/building/whatever it can be seen on the cfbot page.
>
> Maybe I'm just mistaken, and the cfbot is supposed to only rebuild when there is a new patch. That would be kind-of logical too, although I for one would prefer a more continuous building.

My approach, if a patch used to apply cleanly and no longer does, is try
to "git checkout" a commit at about the time it passed, and then apply
there. I can review and test the whole thing, and provide useful input.
I can even attempt "git merge" to current branch head; sometimes the
conflicts are ignorable, or easily fixable.

(Of course, I have

[merge]
conflictstyle=diff3

in .gitconfig, which makes conflicts much easier to deal with, though
you have to learn how to interpret the conflict reports.)

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile