Re: Fix typo about generate_gather_paths

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Hou, Zhijie" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix typo about generate_gather_paths
Date: 2021-02-23 23:12:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Dec-22, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> Thanks. I started looking at this a bit more closely, and I think most of
> the changes are fine - the code was changed to call a different function,
> but the comments still reference generate_gather_paths().

Hi, this was forgotten. It seemed better to fix at least some of the
wrong references than not do anything, so I pushed the parts that seemed
100% correct. Regarding this one:

> The one exception seems to be create_ordered_paths(), because that comment
> also makes statements about what generate_gather_pathes is doing. And some
> of it does not apply to generate_useful_gather_paths.
> For example it says it generates order-preserving Gather Merge paths, but
> generate_useful_gather_paths also generates paths with sorts (which are
> clearly not order-preserving).

I left this one out. If Hou or Tomas want to propose/push a further
patch, that'd be great.

Thanks!

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"I'm always right, but sometimes I'm more right than other times."