Re: Key management with tests

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Key management with tests
Date: 2021-01-25 23:12:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In patch 1,

* The docs are not clear on what happens if --auth-prompt is not given
but an auth prompt is required for the program to work. Should it exit
with a status other than 0?

* BootStrapKmgr claims it is called by initdb, but that doesn't seem to
be the case.

* Also, BootStrapKmgr is the only one that checks USE_OPENSSL; what if a
with-openssl build inits the datadir, and then a non-openssl runs it?
What if it's the other way around? I think you'd get a failure in
stat() ...

* ... oh, KMGR_DIR_PID is used but not defined anywhere. Is it defined
in some later commit? If so, then I think you've chosen to split the
patch series wrong.

May I suggest to use "git format-patch" to produce the patch files? When
working with a series like this, trying to do patch handling manually
like you seem to be doing, is much more time-consuming and error prone.
For example, with a branch containing individual commits, you could use
git rebase -i origin/master -x "make install check-world"
or similar, so that each commit is built and tested individually.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile
Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".