Re: Is Recovery actually paused?

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Is Recovery actually paused?
Date: 2021-01-21 12:49:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 21:32:31 +0530
Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 8:34 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 8:12 AM, Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> >> If it is acceptable that pg_is_wal_replay_paused() makes users wait,
> >> I'm ok for the current interface. I don't feel the need of
> >> pg_is_wal_replay_paluse_requeseted().

> >> Is there any reason not to do it?
> >

> > I think I missed that.. I will do in the next version
> >

> In the last patch there were some local changes which I did not add to
> the patch and it was giving compilation warning so fixed that along
> with that I have addressed your this comment as well.

Thank you fixing this!

I noticed that, after this fix, the following recoveryPausesHere() might
be unnecessary because this test and pause is already done in recoveryApplyDelay
What do you think about it?

if (recoveryApplyDelay(xlogreader))
{
/*
* We test for paused recovery again here. If user sets
* delayed apply, it may be because they expect to pause
* recovery in case of problems, so we must test again
* here otherwise pausing during the delay-wait wouldn't
* work.
*/
if (((volatile XLogCtlData *) XLogCtl)->recoveryPauseState)
recoveryPausesHere(false);
}

Regards,
Yugo Nagata
--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>