Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other
Date: 2021-01-12 19:51:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Dec-01, James Coleman wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:51 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> > Makes sense. ISTM that if we want to have a cautionary blurb CIC docs,
> > it should go in REINDEX CONCURRENTLY as well.
>
> Agreed. Or, alternatively, a blurb something like "Please note how CIC
> interacts with VACUUM <link>...", and then the primary language in
> maintenance.sgml. That would have the benefit of maintaining the core
> language in only one place.

I looked into this again, and I didn't like what I had added to
maintenance.sgml at all. It seems out of place where I put it; and I
couldn't find any great spots. Going back to your original proposal,
what about something like this? It's just one more para in the "notes"
section in CREATE INDEX and REINDEX pages, without any additions to the
VACUUM pages.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Highlight-vacuum-consideration-in-create-index-do.patch text/x-diff 1.5 KB