Re: Proposal: Global Index

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: 曾文旌 <wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
Cc: Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com>, "heikki(dot)linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi>, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Global Index
Date: 2021-01-07 14:16:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 05:44:01PM +0800, 曾文旌 wrote:
> I've been following this topic for a long time. It's been a year since the last response.
> It was clear that our customers wanted this feature as well, and a large number of them mentioned it.
>
> So, I wish the whole feature to mature as soon as possible.
> I summarized the scheme mentioned in the email and completed the POC patch(base on PG_13).

I think you need to address the items mentioned in this blog, and the
email link it mentions:

https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2020.html#July_1_2020

I am not clear this is a feature we will want. Yes, people ask for it,
but if the experience will be bad for them and they will regret using
it, I am not sure we want it. Of course, if you code it up and we get
a good user experience, we would want it --- I am just saying it is not
clear right now.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com