Re: pgsql: Add pg_alterckey utility to change the cluster key

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add pg_alterckey utility to change the cluster key
Date: 2020-12-26 19:00:02
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:18:18PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I can easily revert and come back, though the buildfarm is green now.
> As far as testing, I can test that the cluster key unlocks the data
> keys, but there is no current interface to the data keys. Ideally we
> would test the full input/output path, but with no access to the output,
> how can we test it? Also, as I stated, there are some shell script APIs
> that can't easily be tested, e.g. AWS, Yubikey. I can continue to test
> those manually.

I have an idea. I can add debug code that outputs key 0 as hex to the
file descriptor open to the terminal, and compare the initdb value to
the server-start value. The existing code doesn't do anything useful,
so having debug output until it does seems acceptable, if it is enabled.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com