Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation
Date: 2020-12-25 00:12:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

At Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:02:20 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> The patch is attached to the next message.

The reason for separating this message is that I modified this so that
it could solve another issue.

There's a complain about orphan files after crash. [1]

1: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/16771-cbef7d97ba93f4b9@postgresql.org

That is, the case where a relation file is left alone after a server
crash that happened before the end of the transaction that has created
a relation. As I read this, I noticed this feature can solve the
issue with a small change.

This version gets changes in RelationCreateStorage and
smgrDoPendingDeletes.

Previously inittmp fork is created only along with an init fork. This
version creates one always when a relation storage file is created. As
the result ResetUnloggedRelationsInDbspaceDir removes all forks if the
inttmp fork of a logged relations is found. Now that pendingDeletes
can contain multiple entries for the same relation, it has been
modified not to close the same smgr multiple times.

- It might be better to split 0001 into two peaces.

- The function name ResetUnloggedRelationsInDbspaceDir is no longer
represents the function correctly.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-In-place-table-persistence-change.patch text/x-patch 41.8 KB
v2-0002-New-command-ALTER-TABLE-ALL-IN-TABLESPACE-SET-LOG.patch text/x-patch 11.2 KB