Re: Refactoring HMAC in the core code

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Refactoring HMAC in the core code
Date: 2020-12-18 15:48:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 03:46:42PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 08:41:01AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Knowing that we are in a period of vacations for a lot of people, and
> > that this is a sensitive area of the code that involves
> > authentication, I think that it is better to let this thread brew
> > longer and get more eyes to look at it. As this also concerns
> > external SSL libraries like libnss, making sure that the APIs have a
> > shape flexible enough would be good. Based on my own checks with
> > OpenSSL and libnss, I think that's more than enough. But let's be
> > sure.
> This has been tested on Windows and Linux across all the versions of
> OpenSSL we support on HEAD. I am also attaching a small module called
> hmacfuncs that I used as a way to validate this patch across all the
> versions of OpenSSL and the fallback implementation. As a reference,
> this matches with the results from Wikipedia here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAC#Examples

Great. See my questions in the key manager thread about whether I
should use the init/update/final API or just keep the one-line version.
As far as when to commit this, I think the quiet time is actually better
because if you break something, it is less of a disruption while you fix
it.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com