Re: Minor documentation error regarding streaming replication protocol

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, brar(at)gmx(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com
Subject: Re: Minor documentation error regarding streaming replication protocol
Date: 2020-12-18 08:30:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:18:45 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 03:13:25PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > On second thought, I'm going to retract this patch. The docs[1] say:
> >
> > "You can, if you like, add comments to a history file to record your
> > own notes about how and why this particular timeline was created. Such
> > comments will be especially valuable when you have a thicket of
> > different timelines as a result of experimentation."
>
> This actually rings a bell. Now that I think about it, I have seen in
> the past Japanese customers making use of Japanese characters in
> history files. I am adding Fujii-san and Horiguchi-san in CC for more
> details as I recall that they were involved in such things, with
> pg_rman coming first into mind. (No idea about French users.)

Sorry, my faint memory says that something like that happened on
backup label but I don't recall that clearly.

pg_basebackup can set the LABEL field in the file and the string fed
to the command's "-l" option is copied to there as-is (that is,
getting no conversion), as far as client encoding is valid as server
encoding. (since database encoding of walsender is always SQL_ASCII)
I'm not sure it is the expected behavior.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center