Re: automatic analyze: readahead - add "IO read time" log message

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jakub Wartak <Jakub(dot)Wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automatic analyze: readahead - add "IO read time" log message
Date: 2020-12-05 16:39:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Tomas Vondra (tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) wrote:
> Thanks. I'll do some testing/benchmarking once my machines are free, in
> a couple days perhaps. But as I said before, I don't expect this to
> behave very differently from other places that already do prefetching.

Agreed, but would still be nice to see test results beyond just what
I've done.

> FWIW I wonder if this should be tracked separately in the CF app, as
> it's very different from the original "add some logging" patch, which
> makes the CF entry rather misleading.

I've gone ahead and updated the CF entry for this to hopefully make it
clearer for those interested in looking at it. I'll try to come back to
this in the next CF, ideally we'd at least get someone else to take a
look at the code beyond me. :) (Obviously, you looked at it some, but
wasn't really clear if you were alright with it or if you felt it needed
more review.)

Thanks!

Stephen