Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, R Ransbottom <rirans(at)comcast(dot)net>, Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles
Date: 2020-11-23 17:47:57
Lists: pgsql-docs

Greetings,

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 05:40:37PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Therefore, on the whole, the proposal that I would put out there is:
> >
> > - Rename everything (code, docs, etc) to 'predefined roles' for v14+
> > - Update the documentation (only) in back-branches to mention that the
> > feature was renamed in v14 to 'predefined roles'
> > - Use the 'doc page alias' feature to make the documentation page for
> > 'default roles' on the older versions link to 'predefined roles' in
> > the newer versions, and vice-versa
>
> Sure, that works for me. If it was only docs, backpatch makes more
> sense, but once you showed the renaming in those other areas,
> master-only makes more sense. Thanks for working on this.

I've written a patch to begin to make this change and sent it into
-hackers for comments, thread is here:

https://postgr.es/m/20201120211304.GG16415@tamriel.snowman.net

Naturally, it won't make sense to make a change to the back branches
until the change has been agreed to and committed for v14.

Thanks,

Stephen