Re: Proposition for autoname columns

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Eugen Konkov <kes-kes(at)yandex(dot)ru>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposition for autoname columns
Date: 2020-11-12 19:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Nov-12, Tom Lane wrote:

> On the whole, I'm on the side of the people who don't want to change this.
> The implementation cost seems likely to greatly outweigh the value, plus
> it feels more like a wart than a feature.

I think if Eugen wants to spend some time with it and see how it could
be implemented, then sent a patch for consideration, then we could make
a better informed decision. My own opinion is that it's not worth the
trouble, but I'd rather us not stand in his way if he wants to try
(With disclaimer that we might end up not liking the patch, of course).