Re: PATCH: Batch/pipelining support for libpq

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Matthieu Garrigues <matthieu(dot)garrigues(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vaishnavi Prabakaran <vaishnaviprabakaran(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Batch/pipelining support for libpq
Date: 2020-11-12 13:40:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(Adding previous reviewers to CC)

On 2020-Nov-03, David G. Johnston wrote:

> Given the caveats around blocking mode connections why not just require
> non-blocking mode, in a similar fashion to how synchronous functions are
> disallowed?

This is a very good question. Why indeed? Does anybody have a good
answer to this? If not, I propose we just require that non-blocking
mode is in use in order for batch mode to be used.

I've been doing a review pass over this patch and have an updated
version, which I intend to share later today (after I fix what appears
to be a misunderstanding in the "singlerow" test in testlibpqbatch.c)