Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation
Date: 2020-11-11 22:18:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I suggest outlining what you are trying to achieve here. Starting a new
thread and expecting people to dig through another thread to infer what
you are actually trying to achive isn't great.

FWIW, I'm *extremely* doubtful it's worth adding features that depend on
a PGC_POSTMASTER wal_level=minimal being used. Which this does, a far as
I understand. If somebody added support for dynamically adapting
wal_level (e.g. wal_level=auto, that increases wal_level to
replica/logical depending on the presence of replication slots), it'd
perhaps be different.

On 2020-11-11 17:33:17 +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> FWIW this is a revised version of the PoC, which has some known
> problems.
>
> - Flipping of Buffer persistence is not WAL-logged nor even be able to
> be safely roll-backed. (It might be better to drop buffers).

That's obviously a no-go. I think you might be able to address this if
you accept that the command cannot be run in a transaction (like
CONCURRENTLY). Then you can first do the catalog changes, change the
persistence level, and commit.

Greetings,

Andres Freund