Re: Addition to content

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: vadym(dot)feskin(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Addition to content
Date: 2020-11-11 19:32:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:09:59AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > I would be helpful to add that NULLIF and COALESCE need to be of same data
> > type.
>
> That's not actually a correct statement ... which I guess just reinforces
> your point that the behavior needs to be documented.

FYI, this was done in this commit:

commit 24b83a5082
Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: Mon Nov 9 12:02:24 2020 -0500

Doc: clarify data type behavior of COALESCE and NULLIF.

After studying the code, NULLIF is a lot more subtle than you might
have guessed.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/160486028730.25500.15740897403028593550@wrigleys.postgresql.org

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com