Re: libpq compression

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Даниил Захлыстов <usernamedt(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: libpq compression
Date: 2020-10-28 19:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Oct-26, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> + while (bufptr < bufend || zpq_buffered(PqStream) != 0) /* has more data to flush or unsent data in internal compression buffer */
> {
> - int r;
> -
> - r = secure_write(MyProcPort, bufptr, bufend - bufptr);
> -
> - if (r <= 0)
> + int r;
> + size_t processed = 0;
> + size_t available = bufend - bufptr;
> + r = PqStream
> + ? zpq_write(PqStream, bufptr, available, &processed)
> + : secure_write(MyProcPort, bufptr, available);
> + bufptr += processed;
> + PqSendStart += processed;

This bit is surprising to me. I thought the whole zpq_write() thing
should be hidden inside secure_write, so internal_flush would continue
to call just secure_write; and it is that routine's responsibility to
call zpq_write or be_tls_write or secure_raw_write etc according to
compile-time options and socket state.