Re: Missing directory is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: e(dot)indrupskaya(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing directory is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html.
Date: 2020-10-27 16:47:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:54:57AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-threading.html
>
> On page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html, non-existing
> directory is mentioned: src/tools/thread.

Good find. This directory was removed last week in this commit:

commit 8a2121185b
Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: Wed Oct 21 12:08:48 2020 -0400

Remove the option to build thread_test.c outside configure.

Theoretically one could go into src/test/thread and build/run this
program there. In practice, that hasn't worked since 96bf88d52,
and probably much longer on some platforms (likely including just
the sort of hoary leftovers where this test might be of interest).
While it wouldn't be too hard to repair the breakage, the fact that
nobody has noticed for two years shows that there is zero usefulness
in maintaining this build pathway. Let's get rid of it and decree
that thread_test.c is *only* meant to be built/used in configure.

Given that decision, it makes sense to put thread_test.c under config/
and get rid of src/test/thread altogether, so that's what I did.

In passing, update src/test/README, which had been ignored by some
not-so-recent additions of subdirectories.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/227659.1603041612@sss.pgh.pa.us

I have applied the attached patch to all branches to remove the
paragraph. I think the docs are only built when there is a minor
release, so it might take a few weeks until the online docs are updated.
You found this very quickly. :-)

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
master.diff text/x-diff 744 bytes