Re: new heapcheck contrib module

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new heapcheck contrib module
Date: 2020-10-21 20:13:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Oct-21, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 9:01 PM Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > This next version, attached, has the acl checking and associated documentation changes split out into patch 0005, making it easier to review in isolation from the rest of the patch series.
> >
> > Independently of acl considerations, this version also has some verbiage changes in 0004, in response to Andrey's review upthread.
>
> I was about to commit 0001, after making some cosmetic changes, when I
> discovered that it won't link for me. I think there must be something
> wrong with the NLS stuff. My version of 0001 is attached. The error I
> got is:

Hmm ... I don't think we have translation support in contrib, do we? I
think you could solve that by adding a "#undef _, #define _(...) (...)"
or similar at the top of the offending C files, assuming you don't want
to rip out all use of _() there.

TBH the usage of "translation:" comments in this patch seems
over-enthusiastic to me.