Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Jack Christensen <jack(at)jncsoftware(dot)com>
Cc: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Paluch <mpaluch(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Date: 2020-10-21 00:09:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-10-20 18:55:41 -0500, Jack Christensen wrote:
> Upthread someone posted a page pgjdbc detailing desired changes to the
> backend protocol (
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/master/backend_protocol_v4_wanted_features.md).

A lot of the stuff on there seems way beyond what can be achieved in
something incrementally added to the protocol. Fair enough in an article
about "v4" of the protocol. But I don't think we are - nor should we be
- talking about a full new protocol version here. Instead we are talking
about extending the protocol, where the extensions are opt-in.

Greetings,

Andres Freund