Is the doc for SHOW somewhat stale?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is the doc for SHOW somewhat stale?
Date: 2020-10-06 07:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

If I read the documentation of the SHOW command, it says:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/sql-show.html

> name
> The name of a run-time parameter. Available parameters are documented
> in Chapter 19 and on the SET reference page. In addition, there are a
> few parameters that can be shown but not set:
> SERVER_VERSION
> SERVER_ENCODING
> LC_COLLATE
> LC_CTYPE
> IS_SUPERUSER
> ALL
> Show the values of all configuration parameters, with descriptions.

It seems to me GUC variables of PGC_INTERNAL are shown above, but
there are 13 other variables of that context. On the other hand
is_superuser is not shown in pg_settings view nor by SHOW ALL
(GUC_NO_SHOW_ALL).

is_superuser is commented as the follows in guc.c:

> /* Not for general use --- used by SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION */

So, if I followed the current style of the page, we should:

- remove IS_SUPERUSER from the documentation.
- add the 13 variables.

However, it seems better that that item simply points to "19.15 Preset
Options" instead, as attached.

By the way, SHOW ALL shows 329 rows as of PG13 whereas documentation
says 196 rows. (14 devel shows 331 rows.)

Thoughts?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_show_sgml_master.patch text/x-patch 2.4 KB