Re: POC: contrib/unaccent as IMMUTABLE

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Petru Ghita <petru(dot)ghita(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POC: contrib/unaccent as IMMUTABLE
Date: 2020-10-03 13:01:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 02:13:01PM +0200, Petru Ghita wrote:
>As instructed by Alexander Korotkov, I'm linking the patch:
>
>https://github.com/petru-ghita/postgres/commit/d6d1f340cd34db8176744ede7f0fe588d870a33f

Please submit an actual patch, not just a link to github commit. That
may disappear in the future, and we want an actual copy here in the
archives. Also, we have a bot that tests patches sent as attachments,
and the github commit can't benefit from that either.

Also, add the patch to the next commitfest (i.e. 2020-11) here:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

As for the patch, I wonder if we want to make this change. I'm not very
familiar with how unaccent works, but if changes to unicode rules would
really silently break indexes, it's kinda similar to the collation
issues caused by glibc updates. And we've generally considered that a
case of data corruption, I think, so it'd be strange to allow that here.

If a user really wants to allow this, it's possible to create a stable
wrapper function - the difference is that if it breaks, it's the user's
responsibility to deal with that.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com