Re: v13: show extended stats target in \d

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tatsuro Yamada <tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: v13: show extended stats target in \d
Date: 2020-09-01 21:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

+1 on fixing this, since the ability to change stats target is new in
pg13.

On 2020-Aug-31, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> Maybe it should have a comma, like ", STATISTICS %s"?

It does need some separator. Maybe a comma is sufficient, but I'm not
sure: that will fail when we add cross-relation stats, because the
FROM clause will have more relations and possibly have commas too.

Table "public.ab1"
Column | Type | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Stats target | Description
--------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+---------+--------------+-------------
a | integer | | | | plain | |
b | integer | | | | plain | |
Statistics objects:
"public"."ab1_a_b_stats" (ndistinct, dependencies, mcv) ON a, b FROM ab1

> Also, now I wonder if CREATE STATISTICS should support some syntax to set the
> initial target. Like:
>
> |CREATE STATISTICS abstats ON a,b FROM child.abc_202006 WITH(STATISTICS 111);

Umm, if true (on which I'm not sold), maybe it should appear in the
parenthesized list that currently is just the stats type list:

|CREATE STATISTICS abstats (STATISTICS 111) ON a,b FROM child.abc_202006;

I'm not really convinced we need this.