Re: "cert" + clientcert=verify-ca in pg_hba.conf?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "cert" + clientcert=verify-ca in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2020-09-01 15:47:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 01:59:25PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Mon, 31 Aug 2020 11:34:29 -0400, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote in
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 05:56:58PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > > Ok, this is that. If we spcify clientcert=no-verify other than for
> > > "cert" authentication, server complains as the following at startup.
> >
> > Why does clientcert=no-verify have any value, even for a
> > cert-authentication line?

> > I think it should just be removed in PG 14. This is a configuration
> > setting, not an SQL-level item that needs a deprecation period.
>
> Ok, it is changed to just error out. I tempted to show a suggestion to
> removing the option in that case like the following, but *didn't* in
> this version of the patch.

OK, I have developed the attached patch based on yours. I reordered the
tests, simplified the documentation, and removed the hint since they
will already get a good error message, and we will document this change
in the release notes. It is also good you removed the 0/1 values for
this, since that was also confusing. We will put that removal in the
release notes too.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
cert.diff text/x-diff 4.3 KB