Re: "cert" + clientcert=verify-ca in pg_hba.conf?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "cert" + clientcert=verify-ca in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2020-09-01 04:59:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Mon, 31 Aug 2020 11:34:29 -0400, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote in
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 05:56:58PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > Ok, this is that. If we spcify clientcert=no-verify other than for
> > "cert" authentication, server complains as the following at startup.
>
> Why does clientcert=no-verify have any value, even for a
> cert-authentication line?
>
> > > LOG: no-verify or 0 is the default setting that is discouraged to use explicitly for clientcert option
> > > HINT: Consider removing the option instead. This option value is going to be deprecated in later version.
> > > CONTEXT: line 90 of configuration file "/home/horiguti/data/data_noverify/pg_hba.conf"
>
> I think it should just be removed in PG 14. This is a configuration
> setting, not an SQL-level item that needs a deprecation period.

Ok, it is changed to just error out. I tempted to show a suggestion to
removing the option in that case like the following, but *didn't* in
this version of the patch.

> LOG: invalid value for clientcert: "no-verify"
?? HINT: Instead, consider removing the clinetcert option.
> CONTEXT: line 90 of configuration file "/h

> > I'm going to register this to the coming CF.
>
> I plan to apply this once we are done discussing it.

Roger.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Deprecate-no-verify-for-clientcert.patch text/x-patch 4.9 KB