Re: "cert" + clientcert=verify-ca in pg_hba.conf?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "cert" + clientcert=verify-ca in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2020-08-25 02:41:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you for the patience.

At Mon, 24 Aug 2020 22:06:45 -0400, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote in
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:00:49AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > At Mon, 24 Aug 2020 21:49:40 -0400, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote in

> > Sorry, I mistead you. I don't suggest verify-full is needed for cert
> > authentication. I said we should just reject the combination
> > cert+veriry-ca.
>
> OK.
>
> > > Uh, I don't understand what 'combination the same way with
> > > "cert"+"no-verify"'. Right now, cert with no clientcert/verify line
> > > works just fine. Is "no-verify" something special? Are you saying it
> > > is any random string that would generate an error?
> >
> > It was delimited as "We should reject (that)" "that combination
> > (=cert+ferify-ca)" "the same way(=error-out)" "with cert+no-verify".
>
> OK, and that is what your patch does, right?

Yes,

> And we should error out on "with cert+no-verify" just like "with
> cert+XXXXXX", right?

Currently only cert+no-verify is rejected. The patch makes "cert+verify-ca" be rejected.

> I don't see "no-verify" mentioned anywhere in our docs.

no-verify itself is mentioned here.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/ssl-tcp.html#SSL-CLIENT-CERTIFICATES

> The clientcert authentication option is available for all
> authentication methods, but only in pg_hba.conf lines specified as
> hostssl. When clientcert is not specified or is set to *no-verify*,
> the server will still verify any presented client certificates
> against its CA file, if one is configured ― but it will not insist
> that a client certificate be presented.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi