Re: EDB builds Postgres 13 with an obsolete ICU version

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EDB builds Postgres 13 with an obsolete ICU version
Date: 2020-08-18 15:13:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:38:38AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> Not necessarily. It's likely that not all indexes use ICU collations, and
> you still save time loading what may be large amounts of data.
>
> I agree though, that it *could* be slow.
>
> I agree it definitely could, but I'm not sure I see any case where it would
> actually be slower than the alternative (which would be dump/reload).

Well, given that pg_upgrade is more complex to run than pg_dump/reload,
you then have to weigh the complexity of using pg_upgrade with index
rebuild vs. the simpler pg_dump. Right now, you know pg_upgrade in link
mode is going to be fast, but with the reindex, you have a much more
complex decision to make.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com