Re: Doc patch: mention indexes in pg_inherits docs

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc patch: mention indexes in pg_inherits docs
Date: 2020-07-29 06:06:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:21:29PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> When partitioned index support was added in veresion 11, the pg_inherits
> docs missed the memo and still only say it describes table inheritance.
> The attached patch adds mentions of indexes too, and notes that they can
> not participate in multiple inheritance.

What you have here looks fine to me. We could be more picky regarding
the types or relations that can be added, as it can actually be
possible to have a partitioned table or index, two relkinds of their
own, but what you are proposing looks fine enough here.

> I don't know what the policy is on backpatching doc fixes, but
> personally I think it should be.

This is actually a bug fix, because we include in the docs some
incorrect information, so it should be backpatched. If there are no
objections, I'll take care of that.
--
Michael