Re: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Error in BRIN summarization
Date: 2020-07-27 17:25:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Jul-27, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:

> Here is the updated version of the fix.
> The problem can be reproduced on all supported versions, so I suggest to
> backpatch it.
> Code slightly changed in v12, so here are two patches: one for versions 9.5
> to 11 and another for versions from 12 to master.

Hi Anastasia, thanks for this report and fix. I was considering this
last week and noticed that the patch changes the ABI of
heap_get_root_tuples, which may be problematic in back branches. I
suggest that for unreleased branches (12 and prior) we need to create a
new function with the new signature, and keep heap_get_root_tuples
unchanged. In 13 and master we don't need that trick, so we can keep
the code as you have it in this version of the patch.

OffsetNumber
heap_get_root_tuples_new(Page page, OffsetNumber *root_offsets)
{ .. full implementation ... }

/* ABI compatibility only */
void
heap_get_root_tuples(Page page, OffsetNumber *root_offsets)
{
(void) heap_get_root_tuples_new(page, root_offsets);
}

(I was also considering whether it needs to be a loop to reobtain root
tuples, in case a concurrent transaction can create a new item while
we're checking that item; but I don't think that can really happen for
one individual tuple.)

Thanks