Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2020-07-02 13:46:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at) wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-07-01 at 16:46 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > If someone could explain what is so special about *this* part of the
> > system that we absolutely can't possibly accept any change that might
> > break user's scripts, and why it's worth all of the angst, maintenance,
> > ridiculously difficult documentation to understand and hacks (the
> > interface to pg_start_backup is ridiculously warty because of this), I'd
> > greatly appreciate it.
>
> Easy. Lots of people write backup scripts, and fewer people write
> complicated pg_catalog queries. We would make way more users unhappy.

And no one writes scripts to do restores? No, I don't believe that
(also don't believe that no one writes scripts or queries that use
various catalog tables). Also, we certainly do get complaints from time
to time from people who got hit by a catalog change, but it's usually
"this stopped working" and you tell them "do this instead" and they're
happy to update their code. That's why we have major versions, and why
we have back-branches and why we support a given major version for 5
years.

> You have a point about reworking the way recovery works: after teaching
> several classes and running into oddities with recovery parameters in
> postgresql.conf, I am not sure if that was a good move.

If it was a good idea or bad idea is really pretty independent of the
point I was trying to make: we *did* completely change the restore API
without any deprecation period for the old one or period of time where
we supported both or any of the foolishness that we've been doing for
the backup API for the past however many years. Perhaps the mob of
users who are going to complain about that change hasn't decided to
upgrade to v12 quite yet, but I doubt it.

I'll say it again- I really think we need to stop this special case
where we've decided that we can't possibly make a breaking change to the
backup API even across major versions. We don't do that, evidently, in
hardly any other cases and it's an altogether good thing- we don't have
ridiculously complicated restore documentation that has to explain two
completely different ways of doing a restore, nor is the code
complicated by having different ways, etc..

Thanks,

Stephen