Re: Cache lookup errors with functions manipulation object addresses

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cache lookup errors with functions manipulation object addresses
Date: 2020-07-02 05:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:30:11PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> The new FORMAT_TYPE_* flag still makes sense to me while reading this
> code once again, as well as the extensibility of the new APIs for
> operators and procedures. One doubt I still have is if we should
> really change the signature of getObjectDescription() to include the
> new missing_ok argument or if a new function should be introduced.
> I'd rather keep only one function as, even if this is called in many
> places in the backend, I cannot track down an extension using it, but
> I won't go against Alvaro's will either if he thinks something
> different as this is his original design and commit as of f8348ea3.

Attached is an updated patch set, because of conflicts in the docs.
Daniel, you are still registered as a reviewer of this patch, and it
is marked as ready for committer? Do you have more comments? Would
anybody have objections if I move on with 0001 and 0002 that extend
the APIs to get the procedure, operator and type names?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v19-0001-Add-flag-to-format_type_extended-to-enforce-NULL.patch text/x-diff 3.7 KB
v19-0002-Refactor-format-procedure-and-operator-APIs-to-b.patch text/x-diff 7.0 KB
v19-0003-Eliminate-user-visible-cache-lookup-errors-for-o.patch text/x-diff 96.5 KB