Re: The description for pg_replication_slots.restart_lsn

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The description for pg_replication_slots.restart_lsn
Date: 2020-06-25 01:00:16
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2020-Jun-17, Fujii Masao wrote:

> The document explains that restart_lsn column in pg_replication_slots view is:
>
> The address (LSN) of oldest WAL which still might be required by
> the consumer of this slot and thus won't be automatically removed
> during checkpoints.
>
> But the latter part is not true in v13 thanks to max_slot_wal_keep_size.
> I think that we need to update it as follows. Thought?
>
> The address (LSN) of oldest WAL which still might be required by
> the consumer of this slot and thus won't be automatically removed
> during checkpoints unless this LSN gets behind more than
> max_slot_wal_keep_size from the current LSN.

We just added the invalidated_at LSN to replication slots; while working
on the tests for that today, I was thinking that it might be useful to
display that LSN in pg_replication_slots. What do you think of the idea
of publishing the invalidated_at LSN in pg_replication_slot.restart_lsn
when the slot is invalid?