Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Muhammad Usama <m(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ildar Musin <ildar(at)adjust(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date: 2020-06-18 13:19:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 04:09:56PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> You are right and we are not going to claim that after this feature is
> committed. This feature has independent use cases like it can allow
> parallel copy when foreign tables are involved once we have parallel
> copy and surely there will be more. I think it is clear that we need
> atomic visibility (some way to ensure global consistency) to avoid the
> data inconsistency problems you and I are worried about and we can do
> that as a separate patch but at this stage, it would be good if we can
> have some high-level design of that as well so that if we need some
> adjustments in the design/implementation of this patch then we can do
> it now. I think there is some discussion on the other threads (like
> [1]) about the kind of stuff we are worried about which I need to
> follow up on to study the impact.
>
> Having said that, I don't think that is a reason to stop reviewing or
> working on this patch.

I think our first step is to allow sharding to work on read-only
databases, e.g. data warehousing. Read/write will require global
snapshots. It is true that 2PC is limited usefulness without global
snapshots, because, by definition, systems using 2PC are read-write
systems. However, I can see cases where you are loading data into a
data warehouse but want 2PC so the systems remain consistent even if
there is a crash during loading.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com