Re: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows
Date: 2020-06-17 07:44:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 07:53:26AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Not one of them has it.

Argh.

> I think we'll need a dynamic test for its presence rather than just
> assuming it's there. (Use require in an eval for this).

Sure. No problem with implementing an automatic detection.

> However, since all of them would currently fail we wouldn't actually
> have any test coverage. I could see about installing it on one or two
> animals (jacana would be a problem, it's using a very old and limited
> perl to run TAP tests.)

Okay. This could be a problem as jacana is proving to have good
coverage AFAIK. So it looks like we are really heading in the
direction is still skipping the test if there is no support for
symlink in the environment. At least that makes less diffs in the
patch.
--
Michael