Re: Postmaster Crashing - Postgres 11 when JIT is enabled

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Mukesh Chhatani <chhatani(dot)mukesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postmaster Crashing - Postgres 11 when JIT is enabled
Date: 2020-06-09 19:11:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2020-06-09 14:00:06 -0500, Mukesh Chhatani wrote:
> We are experiencing issues around Postmaster crashing due to cancellation
> of a simple query
>
> Postgres Version - 11.6
> Environment - AWS RDS
> Table Size - 50 GB

Unfortunately we do not have access to the exact changes RDS has done to
postgres, so we cannot easily debug such problems.

> Few ways I resolved the issue :
> 1. Vacuum analyze the table and then execute the query and cancel it.
> 2. Disable JIT
> 3. Set max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 0
>
> Attached is the file containing DEBUG logs and ERROR we are experiencing
> issues with.

I am afraid that we need more information to be able to debug this
problem. The best would be a backtrace of the crash, but for that you'd
likely need help from RDS support.

Can you post the exact table definition of the table with the problem?
And an EXPLAIN for the problematic query?

Are you saying that after
> 1. Vacuum analyze the table and then execute the query and cancel it.

the problem does not occur anymore for future queries?

Greetings,

Andres Freund