Re: Bump default wal_level to logical

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bump default wal_level to logical
Date: 2020-06-08 21:32:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-06-08 13:27:50 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> If we can allow wal_level to be changed on the fly, I agree that would
> help reduce the pressure to make the default setting more expensive.
> I don't recall why it's PGC_POSTMASTER right now, but I suppose there
> was a reason for that ...

There's reasons, but IIRC they're all solvable with reasonable effort. I
think most of it boils down to only being able to rely on the new
wal_level after a while. For minimal->recovery we basically need a
checkpoint started after the change in configuration, and for
recovery->logical we need to wait until all sessions have a) read the
new config setting b) finished the transaction that used the old
setting.

Greetings,

Andres Freund