Re: Should we remove a fallback promotion? take 2

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com
Cc: hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Should we remove a fallback promotion? take 2
Date: 2020-06-03 03:06:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Wed, 3 Jun 2020 09:43:17 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote in
> I will change the status back to Needs Review.

record = ReadCheckpointRecord(xlogreader, checkPointLoc, 1, false);
if (record != NULL)
{
- fast_promoted = true;
+ promoted = true;

Even if we missed the last checkpoint record, we don't give up
promotion and continue fall-back promotion but the variable "promoted"
stays false. That is confusiong.

How about changing it to fallback_promotion, or some names with more
behavior-specific name like immediate_checkpoint_needed?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center