Re: repeat() function, CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(), and unlikely()

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: repeat() function, CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(), and unlikely()
Date: 2020-05-27 07:29:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:14:39AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Perhaps I'm an optimist, but I think that eventually we will figure out
> how to make unlikely() work for MSVC. In the meantime we might as well
> let it work for gcc-on-Windows builds.

I am less optimistic than that, but there is hope. This was mentioned
as something considered for implementation in April 2019:
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/idea/488669/please-add-likelyunlikely-builtins.html

> I think that each of those tests should have a separate unlikely() marker,
> since the whole point here is that we don't expect either of those tests
> to yield true in the huge majority of CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS executions.

+1. I am not sure that the addition of unlikely() should be
backpatched though, that's not something usually done.
--
Michael