Re: max_slot_wal_keep_size comment in postgresql.conf

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_slot_wal_keep_size comment in postgresql.conf
Date: 2020-05-27 06:11:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:46:27AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Agreed. It should be a leftover at the time the unit was changed
> (before committed) to MB from bytes. The default value makes the
> confusion worse.
>
> Is the following works?
>
> #max_slot_wal_keep_size = -1 # in MB; -1 disables

Indeed, better to fix that. The few GUCs using memory units that have
such a mention in their comments use the actual name of the memory
unit, and not its abbreviation (see log_temp_files). So it seems more
logic to me to just use "in megabytes; -1 disables", that would be
also more consistent with the time-unit-based ones.
--
Michael