Re: Default gucs for EXPLAIN

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default gucs for EXPLAIN
Date: 2020-05-26 01:51:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 09:36:50PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am not excited about this new feature. Why do it only for EXPLAIN?
> That is a log of GUCs. I can see this becoming a feature creep
> disaster.

FWIW, Neither am I. This would create an extra maintenance cost, and
I would not want such stuff to spread to other commands either, say
CLUSTER, VACUUM, REINDEX, etc. And note that it is always possible to
do that with a small extension using the utility hook and some
pre-loaded user-settable GUCs.
--
Michael