Re: password_encryption default

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: password_encryption default
Date: 2020-05-22 14:46:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > > We didn't get anywhere with making the default authentication method in
> > > a source build anything other than trust. But perhaps we should change
> > > the default for password_encryption to nudge people to adopt SCRAM?
> > > Right now, passwords are still hashed using MD5 by default, unless you
> > > specify scram-sha-256 using initdb -A or similar.
> >
> > I think what that was waiting on was for client libraries to become
> > SCRAM-ready. Do we have an idea of the state of play on that side?
> >

> If the summary table on the wiki at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers is to be trusted, every
> listed driver except Swift does.

Yes, Katz actually went through and worked with folks to make that
happen. I'm +1 on moving the default for password_encryption to be
scram. Even better would be changing the pg_hba.conf default, but I
think we still have concerns about that having problems with the
regression tests and the buildfarm.

Thanks,

Stephen