Re: non-string or non-string

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: b(at)janin(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: non-string or non-string
Date: 2020-05-17 22:31:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2020-May-17, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/functions-string.html
>
> The second line in "Table 9.8. SQL String Functions and Operators" uses
> "non-string or non-string" as part of the example. I assume one of these
> should be "string".

No, it's not the example but the operator description, and what it says
is
"string || non-string or non-string || string"

so it's trying to illustrate that there are two options:

string || non-string
non-string || string

but maybe it's not super-clear about that. This is much clearer in the
docs for Postgres 13, which has been heavily reformatted:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-string.html