Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-11 13:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 08:12:30PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 2:46 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > <para>
> > Allow CREATE INDEX to specify the GiST signature length and maximum number of integer ranges (Nikita Glukhov)
> > </para>
>
> Should we specify which particular opclasses are affected? Or at
> least mention it affects core and particular contribs?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, I agree we should list all of
those operator class cases where we now take arguments. I looked at the
patch but got confused and missed the doc changes that clearly need to
be in the release notes. I see these operator classes now taking
parameters, as you helpfully listed in your commit message:

tsvector_ops
gist_ltree_ops
gist__ltree_ops
gist_trgm_ops
gist_hstore_ops
gist__int_ops
gist__intbig_ops

I assume the double-underscore is because the first underscore is to
separate words, and the second one is for the array designation, right?

So my big question is whether people will understand when they are using
these operator classes, since many of them are defaults. Can you use an
operator class parameter when you are just using the default operator
class and not specifying its name? What I thinking that just saying
the operator class take arguments might not be helpful. I think I see
enough detail in the documentation to write release note items for
these, but I will have to point out they need to specify the operator
class, even if it is the default, right?

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +