Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 16:45:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

|Release date: 2020-05-03
=> Should say 2020-XX-XX, before someone like me goes and installs it everywhere in sight.

|These triggers cannot change the destination partition.
=> Maybe say "cannot change which partition is the destination"

|Allow incremental sorting (James Coleman, Alexander Korotkov)
s/Allow/Implement/ ?

|If a result is already sorted by several keys,
s/keys/leading keys/

| Allow hash aggregation to use disk storage for large aggregation result sets (Jeff Davis)
| Previously, hash aggregation was not used if it was expected to use more than work_mem memory. This is controlled by enable_hashagg_disk.
=> enable_hashagg_disk doesn't behave like other enable_* parameters.
As I understand, disabling it only "opportunisitically" avoids plans which are
*expected* to overflow work_mem. I think we should specifically say that, and
maybe suggest recalibrating work_mem.

|This new behavior sets pages as all-visible
I think it should say "can allow setting pages all-visible"
It doesn't do anything special to force anything to be allvisible.

| This is controlled by GUC wal_skip_threshold.
I think you should say that's a size threshold which determines which strategy
to use (WAL or fsync).

| Improve the performance of replay of DROP DATABASE commands that use many tablespaces (Fujii Masao)
"when replaying DROP DATABASE commands if many tablespaces are in use"

|Improve performance for truncation of very larger relations (Kirk Jamison)
*large

|Server variable backtrace_functions specifies which C functions should generate backtraces on error.
Could you say "GUC" so it's easy to search for ?

| This is controlled by ssl_min_protocol_version.
| This behavior can be enabled using wal_receiver_create_temp_slot.
| This is controlled by logical_decoding_work_mem.
| This is enabled using ignore_invalid_pages.
Say GUC in these places, too ?

|Previously, server restart was required to change primary_conninfo and primary_slot_name.
*a* server restart

| Speedup recovery by prefetching pages (Thomas Munro)
"Speed up" or accelerate or "Improve speed of".
Speedup (one word) sounds like a noun.

| Fix bugs in ALTER TABLE where later clauses overlap changes made by earlier clauses in the same command (Tom Lane)
s/where/when/ ?

| The new function, jsonb_set_lax(), allows null new values to either set the specified key to JSON null, delete the key, raise exception, or ignore operation. IS 'return_target' CLEAR?
ignore *the* operation

| time zone-aware output.
timezone-aware ?

| This makes \gx equivalent to \g (expanded=on).
I would say: "this allows syntax like \g (expand=on) which is equivalent to \gx"

|Allow pgbench to partition its 'accounts' table (Fabien COELHO)
Sometimes Fabien's name is/not capitalized.

| This is enable using the -c/--restore-target-wal option.
*enabled*

| These long-supported options for this are called --superuser and --no-superuser.
"The supported" not "These long-supported" ?

I'm not sure, but maybe these patches of mine should be documented?

commit 24f62e93f314c107b4fa679869e5ba9adb2d545f
Improve psql's \d output for partitioned indexes.

commit c33869cc3bfc42bce822251f2fa1a2a346f86cc5
psql \d: Display table where trigger is defined, if inherited

=> Alvaro said the functionality could conceivably be backpatched
(nontrivially), which suggests this doesn't need to be documented, but I think
backpatch would be a bad idea, and I think it should be documented.

--
Justin