Re: 12.2: Howto check memory-leak in worker?

From: Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 12.2: Howto check memory-leak in worker?
Date: 2020-05-04 22:01:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 12:55:38PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:

! > The 90206 is continuously growing. It is the unspecific, all-purpose
! > worker for the www.bareos.com backup tool, so it is a bit difficult to
! > figure what precisely it does - but it tends to be rather simple
! > straight-forward queries, so it is unlikely to have dozens of "internal sort
! > operations and hash tables".
! >
!
! Is there any relevant information in the bareos or Postgres logs?

No. Only the final exitus-in-tabula.

! > autovacuum is Disabled.
!
! Any particular reason for above?

Yes. Disk spindown doesn't work so, and I see no reason to have a
backup zone that is used few times a day spinning 24 hours.

BTW, I would greatly appreciate if we would reconsider the need for
the server to read the postmaster.pid file every few seconds (probably
needed for something, I don't know).
That makes it necessary to set atime=off to get a spindown, and I
usually prefer to have atime=on so I can see what my stuff is
currently doing.

cheerio,
PMc