Re: SLRU statistics

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SLRU statistics
Date: 2020-05-02 16:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 12:55:00PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>>>Hmmm, that's a good point. If I understand the issue correctly, the
>>>checkpointer accumulates the stats but never really sends them because
>>>it never calls pgstat_report_stat/pgstat_send_slru. That's only called
>>>from PostgresMain, but not from CheckpointerMain.
>>
>>Yes.
>>
>>>I think we could simply add pgstat_send_slru() right after the existing
>>>call in CheckpointerMain, right?
>>
>>Checkpointer sends off activity statistics to the stats collector in
>>two places, by calling pgstat_send_bgwriter(). What about calling
>>pgstat_send_slru() just after pgstat_send_bgwriter()?
>>

>Yep, that's what I proposed.
>
>>In previous email, I mentioned checkpointer just as an example.
>>So probably we need to investigate what process should send slru stats,
>>other than checkpointer. I guess that at least autovacuum worker,
>>logical replication walsender and parallel query worker (maybe this has
>>been already covered by parallel query some mechanisms. Sorry I've
>>not checked that) would need to send its slru stats.
>>

>Probably. Do you have any other process type in mind?

I've looked at places calling pgstat_send_* functions, and I found
thsese places:

src/backend/postmaster/bgwriter.c

- AFAIK it merely writes out dirty shared buffers, so likely irrelevant.

src/backend/postmaster/checkpointer.c

- This is what we're already discussing here.

src/backend/postmaster/pgarch.c

- Seems irrelevant.

I'm a bit puzzled why we're not sending any stats from walsender, which
I suppose could do various stuff during logical decoding.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com