Re: pg_rewind docs correction

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind docs correction
Date: 2020-04-29 00:15:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:13:38PM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
> I think is missing a word. Instead of "especially the the target"
> should be "especially if the target".

Thanks, fixed.

> In this block:
>
> + Create a <filename>backup_label</filename> file to begin WAL replay at
> + the checkpoint created at failover and configure the
> + <filename>pg_control</filename> file with a minimum consistency LSN
> + defined as the result of <literal>pg_current_wal_insert_lsn()</literal>
> + when rewinding from a live source and using the last checkpoint LSN
> + when rewinding from a stopped source.
> + </para>
>
> Perhaps change "and using the last checkpoint LSN" to "or the last
> checkpoint LSN". Alternatively you could make the grammar parallel by
> changing to "and defined as the last checkpoint LSN", but that seems
> wordy, and the "defined as [item or item]" is already a good grammar
> construction.

Using your first suggestion of "or the last checkpoint LSN" sounds
more natural as of this morning, so updated the patch with that.

I am letting that aside for a couple of days to see if others have
more comments, and will likely commit it after an extra lookup.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Improve-pg_rewind-explanation-and-warnings.patch text/x-diff 8.3 KB