Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery
Date: 2020-04-22 15:58:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:32:23 +0900
Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:19:35AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > You are right here. The restriction can be removed, and I have
> > checked that the test from v8 is able to pass on my Windows dev VM.
>
> Attached are versions for each branch down to 9.5. While working on
> the backpatch, I have not found major conflicts except one thing:
> up to 10, Postgres does WAL segment recycling after two completed
> checkpoints, and the 8th test of the script relies on the behavior of
> 11~ of one completed checkpoint (first .ready file present in the cold
> backup but removed removed from $standby1). I have taken the simplest
> approach to fix the test by checking that the .ready file actually
> exists, while the rest of the test remains the same.

This test seems useless to me. It should either be removed or patched to test
the signal has been removed after a second restartpoint.

Please, find in attachment a patch for 9.6 implementing this. If it seems
reasonable to you, I can create the backpatch to 9.5.

> It is worth noting that for 9.5 and 9.6 the test had compatibility
> issues with the renaming of pg_xlog to pg_wal, including paths and
> functions. The calls to poll_query_until() also needed tweaks, but
> I got the tests to work.

Thanks for the backpatching work!

Regards,

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-v9-Fix-WAL-retention-during-production-crash-recovery.patch text/x-patch 17.2 KB