Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery
Date: 2020-04-21 22:41:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I did another round of review of v8.

- LocalRecoveryInProgress = xlogctl->SharedRecoveryInProgress;
+ LocalRecoveryInProgress = (xlogctl->SharedRecoveryState !=
RECOVERY_STATE_DONE);

Do we need to acquire info_lck to look at the state here, as we do in
GetRecoveryState()? Why is it missing from previous code where
SharedRecoveryInProgress was protected by info_lck as well?

Plus, the new line length overflow the 80-column, but I'm not sure where to
break this line.

+if ($Config{osname} eq 'MSWin32')
+{
+
+ # some Windows Perls at least don't like IPC::Run's start/kill_kill
regime.
+ plan skip_all => "Test fails on Windows perl";
+}

In fact, this was inherited from 011_crash_recovery.pl where I originally
added some tests. As 020_archive_status.pl doesn't use IPC::Run, the comment is
wrong. But I wonder if this whole block is really needed. Unfortunately I can't
test on MSWin32 :/

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 11:15:01 +0900
Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> > Indeed, Benoît Lobréau reported this behavior to me.
>
> Noted. Thanks for the information. I don't think that I have ever
> met Benoît in person, do I?

I don't think so.

> Tell him that I owe him one beer or a beverage of his choice when we meet
> IRL, and that he had better use this message-id to make me keep my promise :)

I told him (but I'm sure he was reading anyway :)).

Regards,