Re: [HACKERS] advanced partition matching algorithm for partition-wise join

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] advanced partition matching algorithm for partition-wise join
Date: 2020-04-09 14:41:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 07:34:01PM +0530, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:03 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > If there's only one caller and there's not likely to ever be more,
>> > then I tend to agree that you don't need the assertion.
>>
>> It seems unlikely that partition_bounds_merge() will be called from
>> more places in the foreseeable future, so I'd still vote for removing
>> the assertion.
>
>When I wrote that function, I had UNION also in mind. A UNION across
>multiple partitioned relations will be partitioned if we can merge the
>partition bounds in a sensible manner. Of course the current structure
>of that function looks more purposed for join, but it's not difficult
>to convert it to be used for UNION as well. In that case those set of
>functions will have many more callers. So, I will vote to keep that
>assertion now that we have it there.

Yeah. I really don't see why we should remove an assertion that enforces
something useful, especially when it's just a plain comparions. Had it
been some expensive assert, maybe. But how much slower does this make
an assert-enabled build? 0.000000000001% or something like that?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com